Thursday, March 18, 2004

This is not an interesting story

I had a terrible headache last night. It started when Misty and I were out and about running errands. Nevertheless, I forgot to pick up sinus headache medicine.

By dinnertime, the pain was so bad it was making me queasy. I took my regular allergy medicine and some pain relievers. After eating, I went right to bed, hoping that I'd be able to sleep it off.

I woke up with the pain still there. My first thought was that I'd pick up some Tylenol Sinus medicine on the way to work. I assumed that it was about 4 a.m. Looking at the clock, however, I realized that it was only midnight. I didn't think I was going to be able to hold out that long, so I got up, got dressed, and told Misty I was going to CVS.

There's a new CVS just a couple miles from our house, so I got there quickly. Inside, though, it was dark, and as I walked to the door I realized that it was closed. Oddly enough, the hours were not posted on the door as if it were a 24-hour establishment.

I then headed to Walgreens, which is about another 5 miles away. Driving down I-459, I looked at my dash and noticed that I was only going 55 mph. For some reason, I tend to drive more slowly when it's dark and the roads are empty. Despite my realization, I wasn't able to bring myself to speed up. I turned on the radio for something to keep me alert, but the rock and pop stations were too much for me. I settled on NPR which was playing something that sounded like Pink Floyd.

Pulling into the Walgreens parking lot, I was glad to see that the lights were all on inside the store. There were several cars in the parking lot, too. Nevertheless, the door would not open. I looked and noted that their hours ran until 10 p.m. I suppose the staff may have been in there doing inventory or something.

Annoyed, I drove on to Wal-Mart. I hate Wal-Mart. It's big and crowded and messy and evil. This would mark the third time I'd been there in as many days. But they were open at 12:30 a.m., so I am thankful for them. I bought my medicine and walked immediately over to the fountain where I popped a pair of the blessed Tylenol Sinus.

I drove back home listening to a report on solar flares. Amazingly enough, the dogs remained quiet when I opened the garage door and came inside. On my way through the dark, I managed to walk into Misty's new rocking chair, as I am not yet used to its placement in the living room. I got back to bed and fell asleep to the lullaby of one of the dogs licking her pillow.

No comments: